water level changes during the week

Forum rules
The CYCO forums are for serious discussions on the use of the CYCO Platinum Series of products. We ask you to be mature and to refrain from posting anything that may offend either the users of the forum or CYCO management themselves. This is the official CYCO forums and as such should be treated accordingly, any text, images etc that we deem inappropriate for the CYCO forums will be deleted immediately with possible user bans to follow.
SeekingWisdom

Thu May 28, 2015 11:30 am

Your basic/advanced feed chats give EC nutrient levels for each week of the growth/flowing cycle. I am finding that as the plants get bigger they "drink" more and more of the initial nutrient solution. If the amount to be replaced is small it does not have that big of an effect on the EC level to just add water. I am concerned that as larger amounts of the solution must be replaced using only water will result in lower EC levels!? During the week to maintain a constant reservoir level, should I add only water or water+nutrients at the level specified for the beginning of the week or add nutrients needed to bring the reservoir back to the beginning of the week level?

Ryan

Sat May 30, 2015 3:35 am

Part of what you can do depends on your temperatures.

As it gets hotter with Summer coming now, plants tend to drink more water and leave the nutrients out. This can cause a rise in EC/PPM. To determine if you need to add more water (plain) or you are able to add nutrients, use an accurate tds/PPM meter.

If you're environment is stable and the plants are drinking the solution as they should, you may top off the solution. I always recommend water to top it off and pH. If your reservoir is sized correctly to your system, you should have a good 3-4 days before topping off is needed. At that point, I've found it better to top off with water, ph the mixture, and let it go for the next 2-3 days until change out. The benefit is marginal (if any at all) to giving them a slightly elevated EC for a couple days in an active hydroponic environment.

To close that out, I recommend to use water to top off. Preferably reverse osmosis if it's available.