Yellowing starting at the top

Forum rules
The CYCO forums are for serious discussions on the use of the CYCO Platinum Series of products. We ask you to be mature and to refrain from posting anything that may offend either the users of the forum or CYCO management themselves. This is the official CYCO forums and as such should be treated accordingly, any text, images etc that we deem inappropriate for the CYCO forums will be deleted immediately with possible user bans to follow.
pmdgrwr

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:00 am

I have been using cyco with rock wool since dec. 2014 and every thing was fine until mid April 2015. Yellowing of the leaves with green veins started at the mid top around week 3 and 4 and worked down ward until everything was yellow. ppm range was 1200 - 1400. ph 5.5- 6.0. I reduced the ppm to 1000-1200 after a flush with no reduction in yellowing. water temp was in the range of mid 70 degrees. I since added a chiller, water temp and rock wool temp is below 70 degrees and ppm 1000-1200 with no luck in correcting the situation of yellowing. This problem continues even with the ppm down below 1000 ppm.

Aside from the plat. kit I did add bacteria to the solution and was part of my solution from the beginning with no troubles. I do use bacteria during growth with no troubles.

CycoAlex

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:27 am

Hi PMDGRWR,

Looking over your symptoms i believe it could be a number of things.

I am lead to believe they are not getting a strong enough feed/ppm as it was not high to begin with, unfortunately it could be a number of things and i could not give an accurate diagnosis on the info given, however do feel free to contact one of our staff by sending your cell number to shaun@cycoflower.com for further assistance or alternatively try our live chat bar.

Thank you

CYCODAVE
Ryan

Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:40 am

pmdgrwr wrote:I have been using cyco with rock wool since dec. 2014 and every thing was fine until mid April 2015. Yellowing of the leaves with green veins started at the mid top around week 3 and 4 and worked down ward until everything was yellow. ppm range was 1200 - 1400. ph 5.5- 6.0. I reduced the ppm to 1000-1200 after a flush with no reduction in yellowing. water temp was in the range of mid 70 degrees. I since added a chiller, water temp and rock wool temp is below 70 degrees and ppm 1000-1200 with no luck in correcting the situation of yellowing. This problem continues even with the ppm down below 1000 ppm.

Aside from the plat. kit I did add bacteria to the solution and was part of my solution from the beginning with no troubles. I do use bacteria during growth with no troubles.
Hello,

I do apologize for getting to your post late. We had spammer issues and with the roll back, it deleted my comment. I wanted to check back in with you. Looking at the facts, if it was only one plant, there would be more to rule out but since it's all of them, it has to be something affecting all of them. This leaves us with:
  • Environmental issues such as temperature, pests, or pathogens.
  • Media issues with the rockwool in that is was not soaked correctly or that it is being over/under watered. Many times it is over watering that causes deficiency symptoms in plants.
  • Fertilizer issues such as too high or low of EC or pH. For pH to be the culprit, it really has to be out of bounds for some time before dramatic symptoms such as this take root. I would also be interested to know what ppm meter you have to be sure it's reading the ppm700 scale. Otherwise, you could be at a full 2.0EC at 1000 ppm if your meter reads ppm500.

From my experience, it is one of the above 3 categories. Please reply to continue troubleshooting or if you solved it, let us know what it was!

Thank You!
-Ryan
Dabbin B-free

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:01 pm

Same issue, looks like heat/potassium deficiency, upped potassium with no fix, was told to up Dr fix by a shop here in Denver but that seemed to cause the claw, flushed and seemed to help overall health but didn't fix the yellowing and burning leaves.

Any resolve found for original post?

BTW love cyco but i need to figure these issues out before they ruin me
Ryan

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:54 am

Dabbin B-free wrote:Same issue, looks like heat/potassium deficiency, upped potassium with no fix, was told to up Dr fix by a shop here in Denver but that seemed to cause the claw, flushed and seemed to help overall health but didn't fix the yellowing and burning leaves.

Any resolve found for original post?

BTW love cyco but i need to figure these issues out before they ruin me
Hello there,

When you deal with perceived deficiencies nowadays, it's most often a symptom of something else. As modern hydroponic formulas ARE complete nutritionally, the only things that will cause a true deficiency is watering the plant with a diluted nutrient mix or not feeding at all with say just water.

If the flush seemed to help, you could have an issue with buildup in your rockwool. Another common issue is that people often over-water their cubes and this effect causes a perceived deficiency. When you over water, oxygen is displaced from the medium which limits the uptake of needed minerals. Could you give me a rundown of your setup, environment, how often you feed, and are you using anything else in conjunction with Cyco?

Thanks!
Ryan