Cyco Coco feed strength

Hydro Clay, Coco Peat, Coco Pearl
cram2012

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:35 am

Hello Cyco peeps!

I am interested in learning why plants in Coco/Rockwool etc can handle higher feed strengths than plants in soil. For example, I noticed the feed stregnth recommended in soil is 2ml/L for grow A and B. And its 3ml/L for Grow A & B when grown in coco. What is the science behind this? Does it have to do with the lower CEC of coco? More air in the root zone? I've searched google for the answer and cannot find a suitable explanation. I'd love to hear Cyco's thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!!

DeeMarie724
United States of America

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 am

Hello there!
The reason being is that Coco coir does not come with essential nutrients unlike soil, so you need to provide adequate amount of nutrients. This is why you can feed more when using coco ;) Let me know if you have any more questions, and have a great day!
D Marie~
cram2012

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 am

DeeMarie724 wrote:Hello there!
The reason being is that Coco coir does not come with essential nutrients unlike soil, so you need to provide adequate amount of nutrients. This is why you can feed more when using coco ;) Let me know if you have any more questions, and have a great day!
Thanks for the quick response Dee. The soil chart on your feed section refers to mixes like Wormix and Seamiz, these come with essential nutrients build into the medium?
DeeMarie724
United States of America

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 am

They do! Not as much as soil, but they still carry nutrients. Seamix is our Coco coir with Kelp meal and provides trace minerals and natural growth hormones, and our worm mix is Coco Coir with worm castings which has large amounts of humus and non burning nitrates. If you look at the basic Soil feed chart, we keep it at 2ml for our A&B as well.
D Marie~