HARVESTING & CURING

If you have some cool tips and tricks for other growers then share them here.
DeeMarie724
United States of America

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:22 am

Where all your hard work pays off! Discuss your tips and tricks on reaping a bountiful harvest and a perfect cure!

D Marie~
DeeMarie724
United States of America

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:14 am

When curing I suggest using mason jars, which can be found at most markets. Target also sells 3-gallon glass containers in the baking section. I know some people like to use Ziploc bags, I honestly don't recommend them because they tend to break down your product and are not truly airtight.

Fill your jar with as much product as will fit — the less air in the jar, the better. Just make sure not to damage your product while doing so. Check the containers daily to make sure there’s no internal condensation caused by any remaining moisture in your product. I usually burp the containers twice a day. Also make sure to store your container in a cool dark place . A month is typically a good time period, but the longer your product sits, the better it gets in terms of taste, smell and potency.

Curing is the best way to preserve your crop and is also important if you’re looking to achieve the highest quality.
D Marie~
BLZbud III

Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 am

DeeMarie is spot on from my experience. I use various size mason jars, depending on the amount of material, as well as the larger 2 1/2 gal "cracker jars". As insurance policies I also have small hydrometers and RH control packs, as used for guitar storage as well as cigar humidors. These packs maintain 62% RH and the meters confirm. The jars are tumbled and burped several times daily the first few days tapering off as they find the zone.
growing is fun and mental
DeeMarie724
United States of America

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:21 am

Thank you BLZbud111! That's a great tip! We appreciate your contribution, Much love!
D Marie~
MrGreeny

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 am

Curing is turning out to be a lost art. I know that as my gardens have grown in size, my time available to cure has slipped away. But back in the day, about 8-10 years ago, I devoted a good chunk of time towards the perfect cure. I would harvest my ladies after they sat in darkness for three days. This tended to increase the resin production slightly. When bringing down a plant, I would only trim off all the fan/water leaves. Any sugar leaves with remain to allow for a little bit more moisture level and longer cure time. The buds would then be hung in a room that sat at 50% humidity. Over the course of about a week to ten days, I would check on them daily. The moment they felt crunchy on the outside, I would take them down. They would then be placed into a paper sack from the grocery store, with layers of cut up paper sacks in between levels of buds. I would fill the sacks half way full and then place them into a turkey bag. There they would sit for another three days. After that, I would open they turkey bag and the paper sack up, and allow them to go crunchy on the outside again. This would take about another two days the first time. Once crunchy, I would reseal them up. I would continue this process of opening and closing the bags until they were able to stay sealed for three days without going soft to the touch on the outsides of the buds. This process allowed the moisture to slowly be pulled out of the center of the buds in an even manner, whether they where colas or side buds. After the three days of the bags being closed and still feeling dry to the touch, I would then finish the trim. Then to mason jars, where they would sit until needed!
:geek:
thegreatgreenlion
United States of America

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 am

Assuming your temps are low enough and humidity near comfort level, it's normally a nice long 14 day dry until they pass the audible test. From there, into turkey bags (they breath ever so slightly, much cheaper than mason jars, and you can fit a lot more bud in them, creating less frequent need to burp jars, open and close things etc. I will say however, I have never heard of someone filling a jar or bag "as much as possible." In fact I've only ever heard or been taught the opposite. You want at least 20% of the jar/bag unfilled, so that your evaporated moisture from the nugs have a chance to travel to the top/away from the nugs. If you pack your bag/jars tight you're creating a perfect environment for mold, which is what we are drying to avoid during curing/drying. Happy Growing