WHY WATER TEMPERATURE IS SO IMPORTANT

If you have some cool tips and tricks for other growers then share them here.
Cyco Nigel

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 am

WHY WATER TEMPERATURE IS IMPORTANT

In my opinion for optimum results your water temperature should hover around 19 - 22 degrees Celcius (67 - 72 fahrenheit)a little variance above or below that isnt the end of the world but keeping it in that zone as much as you can would be your aim.

When your water (root) temp is high you start to experience negative results. Pathogens which are disease causing bacterium, virus and other microorganisms that like and thrive in warm water, then they begin to outnumber the good ones.
Bacteria and fungi thrive in warm water as well. Also when water temp's are to high your plant will suffer
from heat stress. Also the higher the water temperature, the less of an ability the water
itself has to hold onto dissolved oxygen molecules. The plant needs to absorb these oxygen
molecules for plant growth, as well not to suffocate. Especially important in water culture
systems where the roots are submerged in the nutrient solution 24/7.

Using a air pump with the air stone in your nutrient solution can help in two ways.
First it replaces the oxygen molecules that the plants absorb. The bigger the plant
the more oxygen your plant will absorb, you can never get to much oxygen to the root systems.
Second is that pathogens are reduced in the oxygen rich water, but beneficial microorganisms thrive.

Having lower water temperature's isn't as bad for your plant but it will stunt and slow your
plants growth. Once the temp gets around 10°C (50°F) it will be noticeable, and around 4.5°C (40°F )the
plants growth gets really slow. If you find that your water temperature's are getting low you
can get those aquarium heaters to warm your water up. If using one try to keep it from touching
any plastic in your tank, cause it could actually melt a hole in your tank.

Waing1938

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Which air pump you think is the best? I want to try out this experiment.
Cyco Nigel

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:22 am

Hi mate, with the size of the air stone it really depends on how big your resi is to which size air stone to you should use. with a 200 liter resi i used a 12 inch air stone and that worked really good. Even a decent size pump will do the same trick, cause as long as your water is rippling on top you will be getting sufficient oxygen through your resi.
CScout
Pakistan

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Waing1938 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:39 pm
Which air pump you think is the best? I want to try out this experiment.
Search on google :)